Monday, September 10, 2018

KALLAX units upcycled into cheap and easy clothes space

In a very small room, with a high ceiling, I created clothes space by reusing old KALLAX units and an old IKEA kitchen rail (BYGEL).

This cost me only £15 for two new wardrobe rails. I only used basic tools of spirit level, electric drill (for wall holes etc.), battery powered screwdriver and a very small amount of glue I already had.

I had a limited budget as I had to refurbish a large flat for rental.

This is in a rental property and I knew the room was to be used for either an office or a bedroom for children.

The 2 units are separated by wardrobe hanging rails bought from a DIY store.

It was vital to ensure both the top and bottom units were attached strongly to the wall.

Cheap and easy clothes space


Related: Custom KALLAX closet for twin boys


I then made sure bottom unit could never move by screwing into the floorboards.

I then attached the two wardrobe rails to the front of each unit and I did not need to cut metal rails but used the full length as the height between each unit.

I then screwed and glued an IKEA old kitchen rail underneath the top unit to use as a hanging rail for clothes. This rail had to be strongly glued as the weight of clothes could tear screws from the KALLAX unit. I used Gorilla glue brand.

Cheap and easy clothes space

The unit created clothes space in a very small room and has been used by various tenants for over 4 years and has held both children and adult clothing.

~ by Judith Faulkner

The post KALLAX units upcycled into cheap and easy clothes space appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


KALLAX units upcycled into cheap and easy clothes space published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment