Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Hemnes-Karlby Kitchen Island – Storage and Seating!

Kitchen island from IKEA HEMNES and KARLBY

IKEA items used:

  • 1 Karlby countertop for kitchen island (oak or walnut)
  • 1 Hemnes 8-drawer dresser with white stain
  • 3 Ekby Stilig shelf brackets (the largest size)

1. Assemble Hemnes dresser per Ikea instructions but do not add the included top.
2. Install 3 shelf brackets, one on either end and one in the middle.
3. Add Karlby countertop in place of the dresser top.
4. Once you’ve placed the counter top how you would like it, attach with screws through the Ekby shelf brackets.

Note: I did not use L-brackets or other attachments anywhere else since wood tends to expand/contract depending on temperature and humidity. The screws in the shelf bracket keep the top from sliding around but still allow for expansion/contraction.
5. I also finished the backside with beadboard, but the back could be wallpapered, painted, etc.

Kitchen island hack from IKEA HEMNES chesy and KARLBY countertop

I haven’t found the barstools I want, but you can see there is plenty of room on the backside to add 3-4 barstools. The drawers offer so much storage and I just love my new prep area.

When I’ve moved, I’ve taken the countertop and brackets off the dresser and reassembled.

~ by Lori E

The post Hemnes-Karlby Kitchen Island – Storage and Seating! appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Hemnes-Karlby Kitchen Island – Storage and Seating! published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment