Monday, March 18, 2019

Cheap but eye-catching DIY baby changing unit

I made another hack. This time it’s a cheap baby changing unit. We made it out of 4 IKEA LACK side tables in high gloss yellow.

Lack side table

LACK | IKEA.com

Ingredients:
  • LACK side table x 4
  • LINNMON table top x 1
  • BROGRUND towel rail x 1
  • KLÄMIG babycare mat x 1
  • VÄDRA babycare mat and cover x 1
  • ÖNSKLIG storage basket x 1
  • Spare hardboard from a previous BILLY project
  • Duct tape
  • Screws
  • Right angle brackets
  • Bits of wood
Tools:
  • Saw
  • Screwdriver etc. for woodworking

How we hacked our baby changing unit:

Bolt the IKEA LACK tables together with right angle brackets. Then, use more brackets to support the middle shelf (LINNMON table top). This adds strength to the whole unit.

There are some longer sticks of wood at the back of the unit joining the upper and lower tables, which are then out of sight once it is against a wall.

Attach BROGRUND towel rail to one end of the baby changing unit.

Optional bits are the door covers for the lower section, and shallow drawers which were very fiddly and I can’t recommend bothering with.

The hardboard surround is optional too – our antenatal advisor warned us of “poonami” moments, so this was added to avoid any leakages going down the wall!

Last job is to decide whether to use the shelves as they are or to find some storage boxes.

See my other hack which is a BILLY wrapped around our spare room.

~ by Nigel


You may also like these related baby changing unit hacks

#1 MALM baby changing unit

baby changing table

After I came across those two hacks, I decided that I had to build my own changing table for my baby daughter, who will be born soon. Yes, I could buy an already built changing table, but all the ones I saw, including Ikea ones, lacked storage space. See more of the IKEA MALM baby changing table.

#2 HEMNES diaper changing table

diaper changing table

I used an old “Hemnes” sideboard. And pulled the drawers out and painted the rest in white (little tricky on the side but it works. Use lots of “children safe” paint). See more of the IKEA HEMNES diaper changing table.

#3 Over the crib baby changing table

crib top changing table ikea gulliver

In our little apartment we fight for every inch of space. I had to use our dining table as a changing table (I know, yuck..)

Otherwise I would have to move both twin girls into another room to change diaper for one and risk waking up the other twin.

That is why I came up with an idea for a changing table attached to the Gulliver crib. See more of the detachable crib top changing table.


The post Cheap but eye-catching DIY baby changing unit appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Cheap but eye-catching DIY baby changing unit published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment