Monday, January 14, 2019

Create a delightful and cozy kid’s reading corner

I wanted to make my boy a room that he would love and reflect his love of reading and my nostalgia. The seat in the reading corner was made so he could have a snugly corner.

IKEA items used:
Other materials and tools:
  • Paint
  • Board

Hack instructions for our reading corner:

First, I built two PAX wardrobes in the space. (Preferably, anchor the units to the wall.)

Second, I measured and cut a board that was strong enough to hold a small boy and all the books he reads!

Retro styled kids reading corner

After that, I built a baton around the edge of the wall and wardrobes to hold the board.

Finally, I covered the board in the fabulous striped IKEA fabric and placed it on top of the baton to create the reading corner.

Once this was completed I painted the cupboard doors with the same design as the wallpaper.

Most of all, what I like about this retro reading corner is the way the doors provided a basic canvas to produce my art work.

The hardest part about this hack was ensuring I kept my boy inspired as I designed and built the corner.

Looking back, I would have put an undercoat on the coloured paint.

Retro styled kids reading corner

My design is featured in Mini Modern’s book in March 2109 on Amazon called Mid-Century Modern Living: The Mini Modern’s Guide to Pattern and Style

~ by Emma Clifton-Brown Follow me on Instagram @homesbyemma


You may also like these reading corner hacks

#1 Toy storage and kids reading nook

KALLAX reading corner

Natalie used the KALLAX cube, horizontally, to create a zone for reading. The top is removable and lets her cleverly hide away infrequently used toys and kid’s things. See more.

#2 Bunk bed with reading nook

loft bed with reading nook

Jean-Christophe makes a snug reading spot for his daughter by wrapping wood around the MYDAL bed. Seems like a really cozy nook in there. On the left, there is a bookcase for toys and books. Get the details.

#3 Fabulous BILLY daybed reading nook

daybed reading nook

Jessica shares her IKEA hack — a daybed reading nook — made from 4 BILLY bookcases. It’s amazing how it turned out. See the daybed reading nook.


The post Create a delightful and cozy kid’s reading corner appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Create a delightful and cozy kid’s reading corner published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment