Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Hackers Help: Can I stack and connect two ASKVOLL 3-drawer chests?

I am considering purchasing an ASKVOLL 3-drawer chest. The dimensions work well for me, but it doesn’t provide as much storage space as I require. My question is whether I can stack one ASKVOLL unit on top of another? If so, I would definitely want to secure the top unit to the bottom unit so the top unit would not fall over. It is not for a small child, so I don’t need to secure the pieces to the wall.

Hacking a 3-drawer chest into a 6-drawer chest

I just want to make sure there is some structural stability to the overall piece if I attempt to open one of the drawers in the top unit. I was thinking about some screwing in some pieces of metal hardware on the back of the unit that I can connect the units together. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks!

~ by Scotty81

***

Hi Scotty

I don’t see any reason why the ASKVOLL can’t be stacked. But yes, you would definitely need to secure the top unit to the bottom one.

Turning a 3-drawer chest into a 6-drawer chest

Method 1

Looking at the assembly instructions, the bottom section of the unit does not appear flush with the top panel (because of the overhang). Your idea of screwing in metal brackets at the back to secure the units together can be done. But you’ll need to add pieces of wood to even out the levels between the top and bottom panel. (See blue lines). Then secure one to the other unit with mending plates, fixing your screws on the new pieces of wood.

Hacking a 3-drawer chest into a 6-drawer chest

Method 2

If you do not want the hassle of getting extra wood, I would suggest adding a few corner brackets to the inside of the top unit. Using the corner brackets, fasten the sides (and back, if you want to) of the top unit to the top panel of the bottom unit. Add the L-brackets and secure the units together before inserting the drawers.

Hacking a 3-drawer chest into a 6-drawer chest

This method will leave holes on the top panel of the bottom unit. Should you ever decide to detach and use them separately again, you’ll need to patch the holes with some putty.

Lastly, though the unit won’t be used by children, I would still recommend securing it to the wall. A fully loaded top drawer when extended can cause a tip-over, which can be nasty, even for an adult. Stay on the safe side.

Hope it helps.

Happy hacking

Jules

The post Hackers Help: Can I stack and connect two ASKVOLL 3-drawer chests? appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Hackers Help: Can I stack and connect two ASKVOLL 3-drawer chests? published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment