Thursday, May 17, 2018

Stop the Mat-Gap! How to join PLUFSIG gym mats together

My daughter Willow was diagnosed at 2 years old with NGLY1, an ultra rare genetic disease that causes (among many their symptoms) developmental delays and muscle movement disorder. Physiotherapy has been a part of or daily life and for the past six months, I’ve struggled with the frustration of her IKEA PLUFSIG gym mats sliding apart creating a gap she would fall into.

It took me five minutes to sew on the buttons I already had at home in our arts and crafts kit. I had all of the items on hand already but you can get the supplies for under $5 I’m sure.

IKEA items used:
  • IKEA PLUFSIG gym mats

PLUFSIG gym mats

PLUFSIG gym mats

PLUFSIG gym mat | IKEA.com

Other materials and tools:

How to join two or more PLUFSIG gym mats together

I hand sewed the button the short mat ends, a few inches away from where the PLUFSIG gym mats would meet. Once buttons are attached, wrap the hair tie around the bottoms until snug!

I like that I can still separate the mats and stack them folded when not in use to save space! We do need to put the mats away in our closet when Willow is practicing using her walker or we have company over so I needed to keep that in mind.

Stop the Mat-Gap! How to join PLUFSIG gym mats togetherStop the Mat-Gap! How to join PLUFSIG gym mats together


Related: See more hacks for children


The hardest part was sewing the buttons on. I have no idea how to sew but a quick Google Search helped me out. If I can do it, so can you!

Make sure you use good quality thread so that it doesn’t break from being weak and the hair tie will apply some pressure. You also don’t want to use buttons too large (in case your child rolls off the mat on that side) or small (not enough room for the hair tie to loop under the button).

Take a look at this video on how to join the PLUFSIG gym mats together.

~ by Anna Siedler-Howard

The post Stop the Mat-Gap! How to join PLUFSIG gym mats together appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Stop the Mat-Gap! How to join PLUFSIG gym mats together published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment