Monday, November 28, 2016

Strapping KLÄMTARE boxes

Items

  • Ikea: KLÄMTARE, large box, code 702.923.64
  • Few pieces of leather or similar material
  • Blind/POP rivets or similar fasteners

Rationale

KLÄMTARE is for me the de facto organizational unit. After switching quite a few box families I’ve chosen this set also for my workshop and house and now to the car.

Having a lot of things in the back of my car, especially now, during the winter: straps, hooks, jacks, puncture kits, emergency signaling, ax and shovel and so on I’ve put them all in one big KLÄMTARE box (excepting the shovel which stays in a dedicated rack) but the box was sliding across the floor. There are no predefined strapping/hooking points on this box so I needed to improvise the solution  you see below.

Procedure

Cut 6 pieces of leather or similar material and punch two holes adequate for the rivet’s diameter. Drill the box and use thin washers on booth sides for stress relief. Use rivets for a nice finish. You can use screws too, but rivets are more aesthetically pleasing for me in this case.

Use the newly formed loops for strapping the box against points in the car’s floor.

KLÄMTARE boxes

Klamtare straps

The post Strapping KLÄMTARE boxes appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Strapping KLÄMTARE boxes published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment