Thursday, August 18, 2016

How to mount the GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack on glass splashback

How to mount the GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack on glass splashback

I needed to free up some bench space and got all excited about the GRUNDTAL magnetic knife storage. My glass splash back looks great, and I didn’t want to risk the expense of breaking it by trying to drill into it to mount the knife rack.

The mounting plate for the knife rack sits on 2 “legs” to pack it out from the wall, and there was no way I could think of to mount on the glass using the provided hardware without risking my glass splash back. I Googled all the hacking sites, with no luck.

GRUNDTAL knife rack

I bought 2 standard wooden rulers and 1 metal one at the local bargain shop, and some good quality outdoor strength double sided tape. I taped the 3 rulers together, metal one on top, using tape along the whole length because those magnets are STRONG! I put some weight on the ruler tape stack for a few hours to ensure a good bond.

Then I cleaned the glass splash back with alcohol – kitchen grease would not help adhesion at all! I double sided taped the bottom wooden ruler to the glass, applying pressure for about a minute, and left it over night for a good bond.

knife rack 3

Taking LOTS of care not to catch my fingers (did I mention that the magnets are STRONG!?) I placed the top magnetic plate over the ruler stack mounting.

It works like a dream!

~ by Melanie Holliman

The post How to mount the GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack on glass splashback appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


How to mount the GRUNDTAL magnetic knife rack on glass splashback published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment