Monday, October 23, 2017

Cheap tropical chic wooden stool or side table

We needed a stool for our new desk and I really didn’t want a boring one, so I made this tropical one.

Materials:

IKEA Frosta wooden stool

Photo: IKEA.com

Tools:

Steps:

I traced the seat on a piece of paper and drew the pattern from an image on my computer.

wood burning on the Frosta stool

Put the piece of paper on a window and traced it on the back with a soft black pencil.

Put the piece of paper on the chair with the right side up and re-traced it. This made the soft black pencil stick to the wood. There are much easier ways to transfer the pattern but this is all I had at hand :)

IKEA Frosta wooden stool with tropical chicwooden-stool-tropical-chic-5

Used a wood burning tool to carve the pattern into the wood (this took a long time because I have a very cheap wood burner but it makes it look a lot better).

Lightly sanded the seat and used a black permanent marker with a thin tip to fill in where the color wasn’t even.

IKEA Frosta wooden stool with tropical chic

I then carefully painted with acrylics and let it dry for a couple of hours.

Mounted the legs on a piece of wood, sanded out any imperfections and painted them with the green paint in 2 coats.

IKEA Frosta wooden legs

I used the clear coat and painted just the top of the seat(not the sides or back) with 5-6 coats.

When everything was nice and dry, I put it all together and took some pictures :)

IKEA Frosta wooden stool with tropical chic

IKEA Frosta wooden stool with tropical chic

The chair could be just painted but the wood burning makes it stand out. It’s a lot of work but it’s sure worth it.

So this it, I hope you’ll like it!

IKEA Frosta wooden stool with tropical chic

~ by Alina Tomescu

The post Cheap tropical chic wooden stool or side table appeared first on IKEA Hackers.


Cheap tropical chic wooden stool or side table published first on www.ikeahackers.net

No comments:

Post a Comment